Tuesday, January 22, 2008

About the Plans

I suppose since I have some time, I can tell you a little about the plans I'm using. I purchased the plans from http://www.rqriley.com/b-camp.html . The plans cost $45 bucks and come with very detailed instructions. I did change quite a bit though. First off, the plans call for making the walls using 3/4 plywood with 1/2 douglas fir as firring strips. I changed that to 3/4 plywood with 1 1/2 firring strips. This way I can insulate the walls more and add more strength to the walls as well. How heavy are the walls? Well, they are about 125lbs. each! I also changed the nose of the camper. With the plans, the nose was angled upwards with a very steep angle. It made the camper look very 70's, so I reversed the nose so the bottom sticks out more. Plus I make the angle greater to make it match the windows. I did lose some space for cabinets in the bed area, but I don't plan on making cabinets there anyway. The floor I pretty much did as the plans said, except for the height of the walls going up from the floor. The original plans called for the height to be only 19 3/4 inch. My truck box walls are exactly 19 3/4 inches tall. So the camper would have had to rest on the box, and the cab as well. This also created a problem with head room in the camper. If I did the walls at that height, the lowest section of the camper would be about 69 inches. Too short for me. I added 4 inches to the walls so I could have a bigger door in the back, and more head room. So far that's all I've changed, I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment