Monday, December 8, 2008

Weekend Report



Here are some pictures of the tc after I put the siding on. Last weekend since I knew that I was going to be putting the siding on by myself, Sam Seth and I used a brake and bent each sheet at the top and bottom. This was very important to do because there are no screws holding the siding on, just 560 glue. So I had to make sure the siding was being put in place and not moving around. I would simply put the glue on the wall, and then put the siding on. I started at the back, and overlapped each sheet by one inch and used a special 3m double siding tape to connect the pieces. The temp was about 35-45 degrees all weekend so what I did to help was put a propane heater in the camper. The camper walls were actually warm when I put the glue on so I wasn't worried about the glue not setting. Once the glue dried for about a couple hours, I bent the tops back and then cut the alum. so it is flush with the corners. I used a 3/8 inch router trim bit to do this. Router bit works smooth as long as you stop every couple feet and put WD40 or motor oil on the bit so it won't get clogged up. Next step is to put the windows in, cut the roof vents, and install the roof....

2 comments:

  1. Which glue did you use? Which "special" 3M tape did you use? Everything still waterproof?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 3m tape is basically double sided vehicle tape. I purchased a huge roll of the tape for $150. The glue that I used to attach the siding to the camper actually is made to go with the seemless alum. siding. It was about $20 per tube!! If you order the siding the people that you order it from should be able to get you the glue. I don't think the glue is available to the public. It is a contractor grade, special order item. I got all my stuff through the hitchman in taneytown, md. If you talk to John he can fill you in on the details about the siding and glue. http://www.thehitchmaninc.com/

      Everything Is completely bone dry still in my camper. I do not store it in a garage, and I do not cover my camper. It has faced the elements with high scores. The only problem I've had with my camper since I finished it is the RV plumping. RV plumbing stinks, i will be redoing it with a real house faucet and heavy duty washer dryer hoses.

      If you have anymore specific questions let me know,
      dave

      Delete